Knit and Pray

Catholic woman talks about knitting, sewing, crocheting, cross-stitching, crafting and Catholic Faith and family.

Saturday, May 14, 2005

STUFF...

The 12th was the 13th anniversary of my grandma Josephine's passing. It's always bittersweet memories as her life was full of much misery and sorrow, but she had the talent of being the best hostess ever. I always remember a goodly number of people who would at any time of the year come and visit us. My grandma could cook up some fried chicken, mashed potatoes with gravy, buiscuits, and home grown and canned green beans. Mix up some sweet tea and a pie or two. It is no wonder that I've had a weight problem all my life. My grandma fed us real good! I can't write all that this loveing woman had to suffer. It is in my memory and the thorn of watching her cry bitter tears over many years over the many wrong choices people in my family have made.... well, she did her pergatory on earth if any one did. She was a self professed "hard shelled Baptist" and she did her very best to see to it that my younger brother and I went to church every week (sitting at the 5th pew from the front and center). Granddad never went with us, but he never stopped her from doing what she felt was important. She made sure that my brother and I graduated high school and got some college. It is such a consolation that she got to give Norman and me her blessing for our marriage before she died. I know that she must have had something to do with me having boys as she said many times "You've never lived until you've raised a boy." With all the trouble and tribulations she had with her two, I believe she knew what she was talking about.
I miss her so much. She could tell the funniest stories and she knew so many people. My goodness, all I had to say to practically anyone that I was Josephine's granddaughter and they knew who I was, even if they were strangers to me. My grandma had a great reputation that proceeded her. She was a very giving person. If anyone had a fire she would often donate a quilt. Many times her fried apple pies would go to homes where people's loved ones had passed. She was a wonderful, wonderful person to know and I was so very blessed to have her to be my grandma and a serogate mother. So she was on my mind this Thursday as she is almost every day in some way.
Daniel, Michael, and I visited Norman at work Thursday. We got to show off to Carolyn, who hasn't seen Michael since he was born. So ALOHA Carolyn!!! See how our boys have grown!
Today we got to go out to the park and have a picnic. All of us. Yes my ankles swelled and my hip was having some trouble, but I'm hopeful that we'll be able to do more of that as the weeks progress. I'm thinking of rejoining TOPS (take off pounds sensibly) again to help bolster the spirit and help with this poor old bod. I need a boot camp for older mothers I guess, so as to keep up with my sweet Michael, who is rolling around and getting those knees under him just so he can roll over. It won't be long before he'll be anywhere and everywhere he wants to be.
On knitting news I finished a simple shawl but have not blocked or photographed it yet. Daniel and I went to our lys and I got some beautiful Mandalay yarn in a nice blue/green color to make the infamous Clapotis that seems to be the rage. Need to make some more tissue box cosies first.....

1 Comments:

  • At 7:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Clapotis is a good mindless knit once you get the pattern established. I haven't photographed mine yet.

    I added you to my blog roll, I'm always happy to find other Catholic women who knit or do other needlework out here in cyberspace.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home