Knit and Pray

Catholic woman talks about knitting, sewing, crocheting, cross-stitching, crafting and Catholic Faith and family.

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

MAKING IT RIGHT


It happens to everyone. You think you are doing alright and then you notice an error. Something that really can't be overlooked. Then with a heavy heart you start to rip back and go back to where the error began and knit it all over again, this time with the added focus of not repeating another mistake. I had knitted almost two skeins but had to rip back to almost the beginning. It hurt but I just could not let the error go. It was too noticeable and when I give this away I want that person to know that a person cared enough to make something beautiful and well. No matter how many years you knit, a mistake can be made. Sometimes the error can be worked into a design motif or covered up in some way. For instance, the christening gown I knit for my firstborn son has an error in it I noticed, but it wasn't glaring and so it has stayed. Is it the Amish who intentionally make a mistake in their handwork to witness that only God is perfect? Well, in this instance the mistake on this blanket was clear and noticeable, so I corrected it. I wanted to be finished with this blanket in all it's lavender beauty by Valentine's Day, but there's no real hurry.
After I finish with this round blanket I want to make another and use up the last of the yarn I got (on sale!) specifically for round blankets. My Lenten knitting will be focused on making burial outfits for preemie babies.
We are so excited that this Saturday out first born son will be receiving the sacrament of Confirmation:~D

1 Comments:

  • At 11:31 AM , Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

    I feel your pain. I had to rip back on a baby blanket the other day--not a far back as you, but about 20 rows.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home