Knit and Pray

Catholic woman talks about knitting, sewing, crocheting, cross-stitching, crafting and Catholic Faith and family.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

If...

If my dear Grandma Josephine were alive today she would be celebrating her 100th birthday!!! This picture is over 20 years old. She's holding a cute odd shaped sweet potato that looks like a little person. She dropped it right after the picture was taken. I framed it and it hangs in my kitchen. She was one of the hardest working women I've ever known. She called herself a "hard-shelled Baptist". She always had a big garden, canned what she grew and was known for making fried apple pies which she made for people to enjoy at funeral dinners, she was always busy. Even when she sat down she was hand piecing on a quilt or doing embroidery. She would read her Bible daily and often sang hymns while she worked. She loved to raise chickens and when we would have company(which was often) she would frequently make fried chicken and fixin's. When my Grandad was working she would always fix him fried eggs, bacon, toast and coffee. This woman always had something sweet in the house too! Whether it was homemade cake, pie, cookies, candy or sweet tea.
I miss her so much still! She did get to meet Norman and gave us her blessing. She passed on in May of 1992 the same year Norman and I were married in November. She had two boys and a girl. She always said "You've never lived til you've raised a boy." I think she must be smiling for me as I have three boys:~) Yes, I'd say she must have put an order in to heaven for me to do quite a bit of living!
Thank you dear God for making this wonderful woman my dear Grandma!

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home